Over the last thirty years, we have represented many clients, including many pension plans, trusts, and individual clients, individual investors from all walks of life, and of greatly varying degrees of wealth, business acumen, post secondary education, investment sophistication, in a variety of claims against securities broker-dealers, stockbrokers and other investment professionals relating to the sale of defective investments products or the provision of negligent if not fraudulent investment advice.
That it is all we do.
Many of our clients are just people. People with little or no investment sophistication who sometimes obtain large sums of money from lump sum retirement plans, lawsuits, inheritance, the death of a spouse, injury, divorce, disability, and on more than one occasion, lottery winners.
All investors are entitled to the truth and the right to rely upon the integrity of the investment advice provided to them by their investment professionals. However, because many of these individuals lack investment experience, these individuals often fall victim to stockbroker fraud or misconduct.
Every case is different. The facts and circumstances in each securities related claim are generally different. Every case involves different individuals, different circumstances, different lawyers, and probably most importantly, different Panels, Judges, or Arbitrators.
Litigation involves risk and the outcome of any arbitration is arbitrary.
While there is no assurance that any client will obtain a recovery in any claim, or obtain a favorable award at the time of hearing, the following are representative claims where we have made successful recoveries on behalf of our clients.
- Successfully represented foreign investor against US broker-dealer before FINRA Arbitration, the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York, and the United States Second Circuit Court of Appeals as to the Federal Arbitration Act, FINRA jurisdiction and control person liability under the federal securities laws.
- Multimillion dollar recover on behalf of a group of investors against national “independent” broker dealer in connection with the sale of Ponzi scheme from branch office by unregistered control person.
- Recovered damages against discount broker for unauthorized discretionary trading of high risk options and other securities customer accounts by its registered representative.
- Consolidated before the United States Judicial Panel on Multi District Litigation, and successfully defeated series of injunctions by national brokerage firm seeking to bar nine investors, in five jurisdictions, from pursuing claims as customers against before FINRA.
- Successfully represented a group of investors in an $8.7 million action against national brokerage firm for the failure to supervise the outside business activities of its registered representative.
- Recovered damages on behalf of large investor in $20 million claim against broker-dealer for front running, excessive activity, and fraud in connection with the sale of listed securities as principal.
- Successfully represented foreign investor action against national broker dealer in connection the underwriting and sale of the preferred securities of financial institutions, collateralized mortgage obligations.
- Recovered damages against the affiliated broker-dealers of several regional banks engaged in the diversion of retail bank customers to broker-dealer in connection with the sale of investment company securities and variable annuity contracts.
- Successfully represented seven different groups of investors, all of whom were early retirees from large industrial company, in action against national broker-dealer and its former agent for false promises and the sale of unsuitable proprietary mutual funds and other securities.
- Recovered damages in $3.7 million action against national broker dealer whose agent was engaged in the sale of off-shore investment trusts.
- Represented union pension plan in multimillion dollar action against broker-dealer affiliate of large national bank engaged in the sale of the preferred securities of financial institutions.
- Represented investor victim in Multi-Financial Securities Corp. v. Brown, U.S. Dist. LEXIS 26527 (E.D. Pa.) against national brokerage firm based upon the outside business activities of its former agent and the determination of who is a “customer” under the Code of Arbitration Procedure.
- Made recovery against clearing firm of introducing broker-dealer where clearing firm had prior notice of civil and regulatory background of control persons, and extended credit to introducing broker-dealer in connection with the sale of proprietary securities as principal.
- Represented customers of regional bank in action against affiliated broker-dealer in connectionwith the sale of high risk municipal bonds sold as principal with substantial undisclosed mark-ups.
- Successfully represented several different investors in action against particular brokerage firm, and particular branch office of national “independent” brokerage firm engaged in the sale of high risk non-trade Real Estate Investment Trusts or REITs.
- Made significant recovery against international broker-dealer for the failure to implement or enforce its own rules and reasonably prevent the theft of approximately $2 million in customer funds by third parties.
- Successfully recovered damages against national broker dealer for failure to train or supervise agent engaged in the sale of inverse and leveraged ETF funds to investor customers.
- Obtained significant recovery against broker-dealer that knew, but failed to disclose to securities regulators or its customers, the circumstances under which its former registered representative was terminated and otherwise allowed to continue his scheme against these same customers.
- Obtained award for compensatory damages, punitive damages and attorney’s fees on behalf of individual investor against second largest producer of national brokerage firm.
- Successfully obtained recovery for group of injured investors sold Collateralized Mortgage Obligations by regional brokerage firm through a series of false statements and Omissions.
- Made several recoveries against large national discount broker for fraud in connection with the sale and recommendation of high yield, high risk, non-traditional money market securities.
- Disabled victim of medical malpractice action, investing proceeds with broker, where broker traded account excessively in speculative securities and options without client’s authorization, in margin resulting in the loss of the entire account.
- Proceeds of divorce settlement improvidently invested in speculative securities, without diversifying account, in complete disregard of client’s financial condition.
- Fraudulent sale of high yield junk bonds to unsophisticated widow following death of her husband.
- Fraudulent sale of worthless and illiquid direct participation programs to disabled medical school professor and retired physician resulting in the loss of substantially his entire life savings.
- Older executive fully vested in company stock options. Options exercised, and proceeds invested in technology and Internet related securities in complete disregard of customer’s stated investment objectives.
- Client advised to take early retirement by broker, investing client’s life savings in speculative securities on margin, result in substantial loss of entire account.
- Unauthorized trading of customer account belonging to a 82 year old widow on margin, in technology and other securities.
- The fraudulent sale of unsuitable and proprietary Class B mutual fund shares by a broker, to avoid breakpoints or quantity discounts associated with the purchase of Class A shares, so as to maximize the broker’s commissions.
- Illegal sale of unregistered promissory notes by a licensed stockbroker, outside of the approval of his firm, to senior citizens, and other retirees.
- The fraudulent sale of long term Certificates of Deposit to a younger couple under the guise that these instruments, subject to interest rate risk, were traditional bank CDs.Short term trading of high risk thinly traded municipal bonds with excessive mark-ups.
- The over-investment and unsuitable extension of margin, against a customer’s securities account where the customer needed access to the account to pay living an other expenses.
- The fraudulent sale of annuities to 93 year old widow that paid no benefits, other than generate fees until she reached 103.
- The fraudulent sale of otherwise worthless “house” stocks by over-the-counter, boiler-room type brokerage firm to senior citizens and retirees.
OUR PRACTICE AREAS
"First Name I Would Mention"
I had questions and sought a consultation regarding what I believed to have been inappropriate treatment by my brokerage firm. He took the time to give me a clear understanding of what was involved and clearly described next steps to resolve the matter. He did this in a concise, complete and friendly manner. Although in the scheme of things my matter was small. From what I have seen, if I ever had need of a securities lawyer or was asked to refer one to a friend, Nicholas would undoubtedly be the first name I would mention.Keith (Avvo)"Upstanding"
I had a problem with a dishonorable Financial Adviser! So I contacted Mr. Guiliano to see what I could do. Nick said I can't very well charge you for something you can do on your own! Then proceeded to tell me what to do. Because of the short amount of time and my untrustworthy financial adviser's not crossing tee's and dotting I's my life's savings is in the process of being transferred into 3 separate accounts. One's that will work best for me. Instead of one account that kept my money out of my reach! You will have a hard time finding a more upstanding Attorney then Mr. Guiliano!Walter (Avvo)"Successful in Achieving Results"
I was the one who contacted Nick through his website as my ex-wife had little or no knowledge of investments, and depended completely on the advice of the investment firm. Without specifics I can say that Nick (and his wife) were not only successful in achieving results in the case, but in the process were all that one could expect (and more) as shown in my overall ratings above. I would highly recommend him.Joe S. (Avvo)Excellent Attorney!
Nick represented my wife and I in a recent lawsuit. He was the best attorney we have ever used! Communication was great, he kept us updated regularly, he explained everything in great detail, gave us all our options, and most importantly we always felt he represented our best interest throughout the entire process. We would highly recommend Nick!Brian F. (Avvo)"One In A Million"
Nicholas is extremely knowledgeable regarding many facets of the sometimes complicated securities business. This comes from his first hand experience in the business prior to his decision to practice law. Nick is also very dedicated to staying abreast of the ever changing environment that is so prevalent in the investment world. Combine that with his drive and determination to get things done and you have one in a million!!!Anthony S. (Avvo)"Dependable and Accessible"
Philadelphia has lived up to it's reputation as having the best attorneys in the Country. I had been told I had a problem of having a Hedge Fund investment. He went to a lot of time and trouble to not take my case. What I really appreciate is his work ethic. He was very kind to me not only with the generosity of his time, but with his words of support. No civilian, like myself, wants a lawsuit but if I ever needed one, it is Mr, Guiliano who I would call upon to represent me. He is a good man.Kathleen (Avvo)"Absolutely Fantastic"
Nick represented me when a stock broker took advantage of the money I had in my portfolio. He did an unbelievable job because most people thought I did not have a leg to stand on. He really knows his field. I am really thankful that I met Nick because he did a phenomenal job. I would highly recommend him.Theresa S."Successful in Winning"
Nicholas Guiliano was successful in winning a case against one of the firms where I had invested. I had a safe investment until a young eager stock broker took over my account and slowly kept putting my money in risky stocks, all while I was on disability. Nick was able to get me a portion of my money back within 2 months. He always was available to speak, and very courteous. I am so grateful to have found Nick. Thank you Nick!Jill I. (Avvo)"Ability To Think Outside The Box"
Nick Guiliano came highly recommended to me and I was very fortunate that he agreed to take my case. His knowledge of the law and his ability to think outside the box amazed me more and more as my case progressed. His aggressive style and total dedication to me and my case gave me the confidence that we were going to prevail and we did. He is one of the few Attorneys that does not finish his work at end of the day. He was always thinking of ways to use his expertise and knowledge on my behalf. On a personal note, he is a very down to earth guy who makes you very comfortable and at ease. He gave me the ability to sleep at night knowing that my case was in his hands. I will always recommend him without any reservations. In my book he is “the Best”Jerry V. (Avvo)"His Ability And Advice Paid Off"
We called Mr. Guiliano after reading his article in Forbes magazine. Although we though the statue of limitations might have run out on our case, we were thrilled when he took our case. Against the odds, he was able to get a settlement for us. He kept us informed and advised us on the proper course of action. We always felt confident with his ability and advice and it paid off. Highly recommend.Cris (Avvo)"Recommend Him Strongly"
I used Mr. Guiliano for a investment fraud case and he did a very good job. I got a good deal of my money back that had been lost due to risky investments I was put into by a prominent company. It was not a really big case, yet Mr. Guiliano was interested and responsive and kept on top of things for me. I would recommend him strongly.Anne H. (Avvo)"Superb Representation"
Mr. Guiliano (Nicholas) represented my mother and I in an investment case where it appeared the agent was preying on elderly people and steering them to improper investments to reap commissions. Mr Guilano did an excellent job of preparing the case and representing us. Although the case settled out of court, it was the best outcome expected for several technical reasons out of his control. He always kept us informed and provided sound recommendations. I would not hesitate to recommend Mr. Guiliano for any investment related case.Bob W. (Avvo)"Somebody you want on your side"
Personable and professional, he is the one to go to when investors are defrauded by Brokerage houses and Investment banks. Somebody you want on your side when things go wrong. He takes personal interest in every case and tries his best. Although I could not recover all my losses due to Fed/SEC action which was beyond his control, I would give Mr. Guiliano full marks on every count. He even worked with my accountants to help me write off losses due to fraud.Ashok N. (Avvo)"More than most lawyers"
Mr. Guiliano is highly accomplished securities lawyer. He helped us secure a wonderful result in case where my husband and I lost almost all our lifesavings. He is also high compassionate, and did more than most lawyers have ever done for us, as he seems that he cares.Mary S. (Avvo)"Awesome Results"
I would like to take this opportunity to express my sincere congratulations for your awesome results. I want to acknowledge my appreciation and respect for their splendid professionalism and knowledge you have shown in handling the laws (previous and present), for arbitration over fraud litigations.Ben S. (Google Business)"Best Of The Best"
I have employed Nick Guiliano personally and on behalf of my clients in the past. Nick is absolutely the best securities lawyer in Philly if not the country. The best of the Best!Ken S. (Google Business)"Finest Litigation Attorneys"
I have been a Corporate Counsel for over 30 years having worked with Banks and large public companies. Nick is one of the finest litigation attorneys in the country.Anthony P. (Google Business)"Fights for his clients like a bull dog"
I contacted Nicholas Guiliano for my 90 year old mother, who lives in Oregon to assist her in recovering from an unscrupulous financial manager who talked her into investing in some very high risk and speculative securities to reap high commissions. Mr Guiliano worked very hard to recover what he could for my mother. He is the best and fights for his clients like a bull dog to uphold their rights and protect their interests. I highly recommend Mr Guiliano and his firm when it comes to securities issues.Robert (Google Business)"Man Of Integrity"
Nick is an incredibly decent Atty. He's a man of integrity, fairness, and honesty. You could see that it's wasn't just me who noticed, it was opposing counsel, at the end of the Zoom! I'm completely impressed with Nick and will keep him in my prayers. Thanks again!Paula (Martindale-Hubbell)"Very Good To Work With"
My case was taken on a contingency basis. Even though it lasted about two years, the Guiliano law firm kept in contact with me, continued to research the case and brought it to a successful conclusion. They were very supportive of me in my first such experience and were very good to work with.Nancy T. (Martindale-Hubbell)"We are so very grateful"
My husband and I were lucky to find Nick after losing a substantial amount of money due to poor investing from a prominent company. He made us feel at ease right away and was always accessible for questions and concerns. Nick and his team were wonderful with gathering up all the pertinent information needed for our case, constantly in contact with us, answering all of our questions, which helped to make the process a lot less stressful. We are so very grateful to have had The Guiliano Law Firm represent us and the fact that they did it on a contingency basis made it possible to follow through. If not for them, we would never have been able to pursue this, financially or emotionally.Stacey B. (Avvo)"Incredibly Resourceful"
Nick was incredibly resourceful and professional. His understanding of securities and investment fraud is unparalleled. He is indeed connected with all the powers to be , and is able to provide intellectual and cogent insights. He is tenacious in fighting for his clients, and will never relent. I was able to follow his recommendations and am glad I did.Mark C. (Avvo)
REQUEST A FREE CONSULTATION
Fill out the form below to recieve a free and confidential intial consultation.